8/10/1899 - First published information in the Breckenridge Telegram.
8/24/1899 - Building was to be 65 x 40 feet, 2 1/2 stories in height with a basement. A wing to be erected later.
8/31/1899 - Ground was broken for first building.
11/10/1899 -The first patient was admitted (Mrs. Florence Joslin of Mankato, MN)
11/21/1899 - Official dedication at 4 p.m.
--/--/1899 - In five patients were admitted. There were 800 patients in the first 5 years. Dr. Hearn was the first doctor at St. Francis.
--/--/1901 -The first baby was born at St. Francis to Mrs. C. Westphall of Breckenridge.
3/1/1904 - A mass meeting was held with 400 in attendance to discuss the erection of a new hospital building. $5,000 was pledged. The biggest donation of $2,500 came from James J. Hill, the "Empire Builder" of Great Northern Railroad. The cost of erecting the new building, exclusive of furnishings was determined to be about $51,000.
The building was completed through the efforts of 41 men, including 21 bricklayers and 13 carpenters.
11/18/1904 -First hospital charity ball was held to help raise funds for the new structure. Price of tickets was $5.00 per couple and included supper. The event was held at the Wahpeton Opera House. The Great Northern carried dancers to and from Breckenridge. The event raised between $1,000 and $1,200.
3/16/1905 - The building committee held the first official meeting in the new facility.
5/3/1905 - Dedication ceremony was held beginning at 9:00 a.m. 200 guests were present for dinner. Tours were held throughout the day and there was an evening reception with local talent for music. The actual cost of the facility was $82,000.
1/10/1906 - Annual ball was held to raise additional funds.
--/--/1906 - During there was a Typhoid epidemic that resulted in 126 admissions with 2 deaths.
3/5/1906 - The Society of the Red Cross was organized, now known as the St. Francis Auxiliary and Volunteers.
9/--/1908 - The School of Nursing was organized with a two-year training program.
5/3/1910 - The first 12 graduated.
1/30/1913 - The second class graduated from the school after completing a revised three-year training. Later a School of X-ray Technology and a School of Medical Record Technology was established.
--/--/1924 - A new wing was added to the building to include an auditorium, Sister's quarters, and a wing for patients.
To The Present
--/--/1940 - A new structure was being considered due to crowding. The 70-bed hospital was housing as many as 100-120 patients.
--/--/1943 - Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce appointed a committee to determine a course for the future.
2/--/1944 - The committee traveled to Little Falls to discuss with the Franciscan Sisters the building of a new hospital in Breckenridge. $25,000 was to be raised within the community for a 100-bed hospital at a cost of $400,000 when completely equipped and furnished. Of necessity, it would be a post-war building project.
Shortly afterwards, Bishop Bartholome visited Breckenridge and gave approval for the purchase of the O.E. Lien property for $10,000.
3/--/1944 - St. Francis Hospital Building Association was formed and incorporated. Being a community project, on 5/3/1944 a community business meeting was held.
11/2/1944 - $35,000 had been raised.
2/2/1946 - Frank W. Jackson of St. Cloud was secured as the architect. Revised plans called for a $1,250,000 125-bed hospital. A new financing plan called for local contributions of $2,000,000; $650,000 to be raised by the sisters, and $400,000 to be handled by federal grant. At this time approximately $90,000 in cash and pledges was available.
1/28/1950 - $193,682.29 was raised towards the $200,000 goal with $79,085 collected on the North Dakota side and $114,595 on the Minnesota side. The Franciscan Sisters provided $800,000.
1/16/1951 - Bids opened in Little Falls for the construction of the hospital. When completed the total cost was $2,162,142.85.
2/12/1951 - Ground was broken for the new hospital.
10/4/1951 - The cornerstone was laid. Preceding the program, there was a brief dedication of the chapel, after which the cornerstone was laid containing copies of local newspapers, the names of the donors to the hospital, a Bible and other documents.
8/1/1952 - An open house was held at Marian Hall.
9/17/1952 - The hospital proper was dedicated.
9/22/1952 -The first baby was born at the new hospital (Frances Kay Petermann-Jennen)
--/--/1964 - The School of Nursing graduated its last class.